GUIDE TOUR AT IGARTZA MONUMENTAL COMPLEX
Basque, Spanish, English and French on request.
1/01 to 30/06, 16/09 to 31/12 On Saturdays and Sundays at 11.30 or 13.00 am
Easter Week 18-22/04, From 1/07 to 31/08, from Wednesday to Sunday at 11.30/13.00 am and 1630/ 1800 pm, From1/09 to 15/09 on Saturdays and Sundays.
Beasain tourist office. Igartza plaza 1, 20200 Beasain.
The visitors will be welcome at the hermitage located in the center of the Monument Complex. There the visitor will be informed about the Monument Complex and the visiting route.
The first element we will visit in the Monument Complex will be the bridge. There we will explain the buildings and elements located at the other end of the bridge: the road cross, the cross and Dolarea (cider brewery).
To show the importance of the road cross, we explain the three main roads that in the middle ages converged here: the road to Sakana and Estella, the road from Castille to France, and the Urola road. The cross is closely related to the road cross, built in the year 1599 to give religious protection to the travelers. In the history of Dolarea we will mention the presence of Isabel Lobiano from the XVIIth century. From that time it no longer produced cider ant was reconverted to an inn.
In the place were stood an ancient wooden bridge, we now can see a stone bridge. The bridges were very important in the middle ages, and we will tell some stories about them.
Continuing the route, we will enter the Palace. Before the palace here stood the tower of the lords of Lazkao. The main features of this palace built in the XVIth century under the rule of Maria of Igartza are the wooden structure and the inner patio, among others. We will walk through different rooms and spaces, telling stories of the lords and knowing the architecture of the palace.
At the basement of the palace we will find the dam from the XVIth century. Several panels will show us the different stages and history of this dam.
Continuing with the route, we will visit the next building: the forge. We will go to the heart of the history of ironworks at Beasain, getting to know this job, and learning about the development of siderurgy brought by this activity.
At the next building we will know another job: the flour mill. The mill uses hydropower, and we will make one of the water wheels run with the power of the water. We will learn how to grind cereals, and afterwards see the bakery attached to this mill, hearing the story of Martina Irizar, the last baker.
To finish the visit, we will return to the start point: the hermitage of Bethlehem. Same as the cross at the other end of the bridge, this also was built to offer religious protection to the travelers. Inside we will see the painting created by Clara Gangutia. With this painting we will enter the world of imagination created by the art, hearing some stories about mythology and other themes.